Prince Harry and Meghan Markle are preparing for their biggest change since stepping away from royal duties six years ago.
The Duke and Duchess of Sussex are moving back to Britain with Prince Archie, 7, and Princess Lilibet, 5, for an extended period, with their children set to begin school in the U.K. in September, People reported.
The surprising development comes just days after reports suggested Harry was planning to dramatically increase the amount of time he spends in his home country following his warm summer reunion with King Charles.
According to the publication, Harry and Meghan will establish a private, non-royal residence in Britain while maintaining their longtime Montecito home and their vacation property in Portugal. The location of their new British home, as well as the school Archie and Lilibet will attend, is being kept private.
The arrangement gives the Sussex family its first home base in Britain since Harry and Meghan gave up Frogmore Cottage following their departure from life as working members of the royal family.
King Charles was informed of the move:
King Charles was reportedly made aware of Harry and Meghan's plans on Sunday, August 16, and is said to welcome the opportunity to spend more private time with his son, daughter-in-law and grandchildren.
However, the major change does not signal Harry and Meghan's return as working royals. People reports that Charles' position remains clear: the Duke and Duchess will continue to be private individuals and non-working members of the royal family, maintaining the arrangement established when they stepped back from royal duties.
Instead, their new living arrangement appears to offer the couple a version of the transatlantic lifestyle they originally envisioned, allowing them to maintain their independent careers while spending significantly more time in Britain.
Harry will be able to increase his involvement with U.K.-based organizations including WellChild, Scotty's Little Soldiers and the Invictus community, while Meghan is expected to continue leading her lifestyle brand, As Ever, and pursuing her other projects.
Harry's earlier plans hinted at a bigger return:
The announcement gives new meaning to reports that emerged just days ago about Harry's future in Britain.
The Times reported that the Duke was preparing to return to the U.K. “every few months,” with a source close to Harry saying his visits would become increasingly frequent as he focused on his charities and the upcoming Invictus Games.
“The template for his visits has been working well, so the frequency of trips will increase, especially in the run-up to Invictus which he’s determined to make the best games yet. So he’ll be coming back and forth a lot more, every few months,” the source said.
“The way the wind is blowing, he’s going to want to be here more and more.” Harry had already been expected back in Britain in September for approximately a week of engagements connected to WellChild and the Invictus Games. At the time, it remained unclear whether Meghan, Archie and Lilibet would accompany him.
Now, People reports that the entire family will establish a base in the country, with Archie and Lilibet preparing to attend school there.
A turning point after the family's royal reunion:
The decision follows Harry and Meghan's recent family visit to Britain, which included an important reunion with King Charles and Queen Camilla at Highgrove.
The gathering marked the first time Charles had seen Archie and Lilibet in more than four years and Meghan's first stay in Britain since Queen Elizabeth's funeral in 2022.
Following their time with the King, Harry and Meghan traveled with their children to Althorp House, Princess Diana's childhood home, where they spent time with members of the Spencer family and are believed to have visited Diana's gravesite.
The move does not appear to signal a broader reconciliation with every member of the royal family. While Harry has gradually repaired his relationship with his father, his relationship with Prince William reportedly remains distant, with a source saying in July that there had been “no movement” between the brothers.
For Harry and Meghan, however, the decision marks a striking new chapter. Six years after moving away from Britain and building a life in California, the Sussexes are preparing to once again make the U.K. part of their family's everyday life.












