Crown Princess Mette-Marit has spent the majority of the summer out of public view, healing from a transplant that came after years of declining lung function and a pulmonary fibrosis diagnosis. So when she appeared at Oslo's National Hospital this week, it registered as more than a routine family visit — it was one of her most significant public moments since the surgery, and a clear sign of how unwilling she was to let her own recovery keep her away from King Harald.
Her father-in-law's condition is what drew her there. Mette-Marit is still rebuilding her strength after her transplant and has remained out of the public eye throughout the past couple of months, healing in peace. That she chose to interrupt her recovery for a hospital visit suggests the strong bond she shares with her family.
Why the king is in the hospital
Harald V, 89, was admitted to Oslo's National Hospital on Monday, August 17, after a medical evaluation found that he needed hospital-level care. The Royal Palace said the king had been undergoing cortisone treatment for hemolytic anemia, a blood condition, and that the treatment had caused a fluid buildup in his body serious enough to require supervision.
The palace didn't reveal how long the King would remain hospitalized, but he's been placed on leave for two weeks. Crown Prince Haakon has stepped in as regent while his father remains hospitalized.
This is a position that Haakon has taken on in the past, filling in for his father while he's ill or away. The Royal House said it would provide more information as Harald's situation develops and whether or not the King's initial two-week absence will affect the monarchy's program.
The King's health has been a concern for the Norwegian public for some time now. Earlier this month, a regular visit to Rikshospitalet prompted concern among Norwegian citizens, with the media mistakenly reporting that the King was transported to the hospital by ambulance. The Royal House reported that the King was well and simply attending one of his scheduled health checkups.
Over the years, Harald has made it clear that he will not abdicate. Following Queen Margrethe of Denmark's decision to step down in 2024, Harald reiterated his plans to serve until his death. "I stick by what I've always said, that I swore an oath to the Storting, and it is for life," he said.
A daughter-in-law who didn't stay away
That Mette-Marit chose to visit her father-in-law in person is a statement in itself.
Her decision underscores just how central she remains to the family's inner circle and the future of the monarchy— even while managing a recovery of her own that is far from over.








