King Harald of Norway has been hospitalized, with Crown Prince Haakon stepping in as regent while the 89-year-old monarch takes a two-week medical leave.
The Norwegian Royal House announced on Monday, August 17, that the King was admitted to Rikshospitalet, part of Oslo University Hospital, following a medical examination that afternoon.
"His Majesty the King was admitted to Rikshospitalet this afternoon following a medical examination," the Palace announced in a statement.
Officials also revealed that Harald has been undergoing treatment in recent weeks for hemolytic anemia, a condition in which red blood cells are destroyed faster than the body can replace them.
"The King has been treated with cortisone for the blood disease hemolytic anemia in recent weeks," the Palace continued. "This has led to fluid accumulation in the body that requires treatment in hospital."
The Palace has not said how long Harald is expected to remain hospitalized. However, he has officially been placed on sick leave for two weeks, with his son and heir, Crown Prince Haakon, serving as regent during that period.
What happens now?
Haakon serving as regent does not mean that he has succeeded his father as King. Rather, the Crown Prince temporarily assumes the monarch's constitutional duties while Harald is unable to carry them out.
It is a familiar responsibility for the heir to the Norwegian throne. Haakon has previously served as regent during periods when his father was ill, receiving treatment or otherwise unable to perform his constitutional duties.
The Royal House said it would provide further information about how Harald's two-week absence will affect the monarchy's official program.
The latest development comes amid increased attention surrounding the King's health.
Earlier this month, a visit by Harald to Rikshospitalet prompted concern, with the Palace subsequently clarifying that the monarch had undergone a planned medical examination.
King Harald's recent health challenges:
Harald has faced several health issues in recent years. In 2024, he became ill with an infection while on a private vacation in Malaysia and was hospitalized there.
A temporary pacemaker was implanted because of a low heart rate before he was medically transported back to Norway. After returning home, Harald received a permanent pacemaker at Rikshospitalet.
The Royal House subsequently announced that adjustments would be made to his official schedule due to his age.
Despite his health challenges, Harald has repeatedly indicated that he does not intend to abdicate. Following Queen Margrethe II of Denmark's decision to step down in 2024, the Norwegian monarch was asked whether her historic move had changed his own thinking.
"I stick by what I've always said, that I swore an oath to the Storting and it is for life," Harald said at the time. For now, Crown Prince Haakon will serve as regent while his father receives treatment and remains on medical leave.
The Palace has not announced when Harald is expected to leave the hospital or exactly how his absence will affect upcoming royal engagements.










