Ecuadorian fashion designer Stephany Hollihan, the founder and creative director behind Sensi Studio, and prominent Telemundo executive José Alberto Suárez were among seven people killed in a helicopter crash in Kenya on Wednesday, August 19, 2026.
Hollihan was traveling with her husband, Michele Sensi-Contugi, the director general of Ecuador's National Intelligence Center. Sensi-Contugi was also killed in the crash. The couple was visiting Kenya as tourists and is survived by their two children, according to reports.
The fatal crash occurred in Samburu County in northern Kenya, near the foothills of Mount Ololokwe, an area known for safari tourism and its rugged landscape.
All six passengers and the pilot aboard the helicopter died. Kenyan aviation authorities have launched an investigation into what caused the aircraft to go down, as reported by AP News.
What Happened in the Kenya Helicopter Crash?
The aircraft, identified by Kenya's aviation authority as a Eurocopter EC130 B4, was operating a charter flight when it crashed at approximately 9:13 a.m. local time.
The helicopter was traveling from the Loisaba wildlife conservancy toward the Ewaso Nyiro area when the accident occurred. It was operated by Lady Lori Helicopters and was carrying guests associated with luxury travel company &Beyond.
The remote location complicated emergency operations. The Kenya Red Cross said its emergency teams were "participating in a multiagency response effort" as rescuers attempted to reach the crash site.
Local safari operator Tropic Air Kenya also dispatched two helicopters to assist with search-and-rescue efforts. Authorities later confirmed there were no survivors.
The cause of the Kenya helicopter crash has not been determined. Kenya's aviation authorities are investigating the accident, and no official finding about what caused the helicopter to crash had been announced as of August 20.
Who Was Ecuadorian Fashion Designer Stephany Hollihan?
Hollihan was known internationally as the founder and creative director of Sensi Studio, the Ecuadorian fashion and accessories label that helped bring the country's traditional craftsmanship to a global luxury audience.
She launched Sensi Studio in 2010, initially focusing on luxury accessories, including handmade bags and Panama hats produced by artisans in Ecuador. The company later expanded into clothing and other lifestyle pieces.
The brand became particularly recognizable for its colorful, vacation-inspired aesthetic and its use of traditional Ecuadorian craftsmanship. In a 2014 interview with Vogue, Hollihan summed up the label's identity simply: "It's all about summery, beachy vibes."
Her work also placed a strong emphasis on sustainability and supporting Ecuadorian artisans.
In an April 2025 interview with Ecuador's Expreso, Hollihan discussed how her confidence and personal approach to fashion had evolved. "I know exactly what looks good on me and what doesn't," she said, adding that she had developed greater confidence to experiment with fashion.
She also spoke about the inclusive philosophy she wanted Sensi Studio to represent, saying, "I want any woman, with any body type, to come and feel spectacular."
Hollihan's death brings an abrupt end to a career that connected contemporary resort fashion with Ecuador's longstanding tradition of handmade textiles and accessories.
Stephany Hollihan Was Traveling With Husband Michele Sensi-Contugi
Hollihan's husband, Michele Sensi-Contugi, was also among those killed.
Sensi-Contugi was the director general of Ecuador's National Intelligence Center and a close associate of Ecuadorian President Daniel Noboa. Ecuadorian media previously reported that Hollihan and Sensi-Contugi had been married since May 2008.
Ecuador's government confirmed Sensi-Contugi's death and expressed condolences following the crash. "In this moment of deep sorrow, the government extends its heartfelt condolences to his family, loved ones and close associates," a statement from the president's office said.
Hollihan held both U.S. and Ecuadorian citizenship, according to reports.
Telemundo Executive José Alberto Suárez Also Killed
Another high-profile victim was José Alberto Suárez, 55, president and general manager of Telemundo 31 Orlando, Telemundo 49 Tampa and Telemundo Ft. Myers-Naples.
Suárez had spent roughly 25 years working in television and held leadership positions at multiple Telemundo and NBC stations during his career, as reported by NBC 6 South Florida.
NBCUniversal executives Cesar Conde, Valari Staab and José Cancela remembered Suárez in a joint statement following confirmation of his death."We are heartbroken to learn the tragic news that José was killed in a helicopter accident in Kenya," the executives said.
They described Suárez as "an exceptional colleague who cared deeply about his teams" and said he brought "energy, humor, warmth and a strong sense of purpose" to his work. "His impact was felt far beyond the stations he led," the statement continued.
Who Were the Victims of the Kenya Helicopter Crash?
The seven people killed were identified as Stephany Maria Hollihan Vasconez, Michele Sensi Contugi, José Alberto Suárez, Roger Edward Duarte, Adam Martin Hlavaty, Henry Parra, and pilot Josh Outram, according to Kenyan authorities and reports citing police.
Five of the victims were U.S. citizens, the U.S. State Department confirmed. Among them was Miami entrepreneur Roger Duarte, founder of George Stone Crab and co-founder of My Ceviche, who was well known in South Florida's restaurant industry.







