Sweet tea is a classic summertime beverage. It is actually a sweetened iced tea that is a popular summertime drink throughout the United States, and all year round in Southern states. It is a delightful and refreshing drink that is sure to hit the spot on any hot summer day. Below are seven easy steps to create the perfect homemade sweet tea.
As a song from Taylor Swift says:
“You can get high on a first kiss. You can get by with sweet tea and God’s graces.”
Recipe: Homemade Sweet (Iced) Tea
- 6 cups water
- 6 black tea bags
- *¾ cup sugar
- Lemon slices for garnish (Optional)
- Honey for additional added sweetness (Optional)
- *Amount of sugar added will vary according to individual liking and preference.
Note: This makes 6 - 8 servings of 8 oz each cup
- Bring 2 cups of water to a boil. Once the water begins to boil, turn off the heat.
- Add ½ cup of sugar into the hot water, and stir well until all of the sugar has been combined.
- Add 6 tea bags into the hot water and steep for 15 minutes.
- After 15 minutes, remove the tea bags.
- Add 4 cups of water and ¼ cup of sugar into the tea mixture, and stir well to combine.
- Transfer the sweet tea into a container or pitcher, and place into the refrigerator for at least one hour to chill.
- When ready to serve, give the sweet tea a few good stirs. Then pour into individual cups, and place a few to several ice cubes in each cup, if desired. You can also add a slice of lemon in the sweet tea, or a drizzle of lemon juice from the lemon slice in the sweet tea, for a hint of citrus flavor. Or you can place the slice of lemon on the side of the cup as decor. Feel free to also add a drizzle of honey to the sweet tea, for a hint of additional sweetness and honey flavor.