Are you looking for a tasty, booze-free treat? How about making a dietitian-approved avocado ice cream sounds to you? Believe it or not, this might be one of the most heart-healthy desserts out there. It is so good that it is among Tom Brady’s favorite things to eat, and according to several sites, he offered it on his 40th birthday.
The avocado is very versatile! This fruit —believed to be a vegetable in the past — is originated from southcentral Mexico, and botanically, is it a large berry with one large seed.
According to experts, Avocados are a great source of vitamins C, E, K, B-6, riboflavin, niacin, folate, pantothenic acid, magnesium, and potassium. As if that wasn’t enough, they are also packed with lutein, beta-carotene, and omega-3 fatty acids.
bistroMD dietitians have put together a recipe for dairy-free, vegetarian avocado ice cream that will make you want more and more.
Avocado Ice Cream
- 3 ripe avocados
- 3 medium-sized bananas - peeled, chopped, and frozen
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup of favorite unsweetened milk (cow‘s, almond, cashew milk), can add 1 tablespoon at a time also as needed
- Optional sweeteners and add-ins
- Cut avocados in half, remove the pits and scrape out the edible flesh into a food processor.
- Add frozen banana pieces and vanilla extract to a food processor. Tip: Peel and slice ripe bananas and keep them in the freezer to have pre-frozen and on hand.
- Process ingredients together until the mixture is smooth. Splash with milk as needed to soften the mix. You may need to stop processing and scrape the edges a time or two.
- Once smooth, lightly mix optional add-ins. (Read on for tasty flavor combinations!)
- Serve and enjoy or freeze until use. Once frozen, the ice cream may need to be thawed before serving.
Nutrition Per Serving
- Yield: 8, 1/2-cup servings
- Calories: 140 calories
- Total fat: 9 grams
- Protein: 2 grams
- Net carbs: 10 grams
*Nutrition per serving using unsweetened vanilla almond milk without add-ins
This famous ice cream brand launches doggie desserts!
Keto diet explained: everything you need to know to get back on track in 2021
Avocado Ice Cream Flavor Ideas
Use fresh mint or mint extract for a soothing ice cream product. Mix in a few dark chocolate chips or cocoa nibs for the ultimate mint chocolate concoction!
Mix in or top avocado ice cream with fresh or frozen berries. Blueberries, strawberries, and blackberries are “berry” cool ice cream contenders!
Squeeze fresh lemon or orange juice into ice cream for a refreshing, citrusy flavor.
For an extratropical treat, mix fresh or canned pineapple into ice cream. Top with shredded coconut and macadamia nuts for added crunch.
The spicy flavors of pumpkin pie meet the freshness of ice cream! Blend canned pumpkin, cinnamon, and nutmeg in a food processor with an avocado mixture. Top with toasted pecans for a light crunch.
Mix in natural peanut butter, sliced bananas, and chopped peanuts for a treat not only monkeys will love!
Peaches n’ Cream
Enjoy the freshness of ripe peaches by adding them to this creamy, guilt-free treat.